Often also called the Game of the Vikings Hnefatafl tells many stories, like the Moskowites invasion of Sweden or the Viking hordes pillaging Britain. But no matter what the story is one thing always stays the same: The hunt for the king.
Even though the rules aren't complicated the game offers fascinating strategies and rewards tactical play. Try to surround the enemy pieces, plan ahead, lay traps and force your opponent into surrender. Will you capture the king for gold and glory? Can the loyal guards hold back the invading forces and secure the flight of their king?
You can even create your own custom variants -- with over 200,000 different variants possible -- for online or offline play!
This game includes the following variants:
- Historical Ard Ri
- Historical Brandubh
- Historical Tablut ("Saami")
- Foteviken Tablut
- Linnaeus' Tablut
- Historical Tawlbwrdd
- Hnefatafl - Copenhagen Rules
- Hnefatafl - Berserk Rules
- Hnefatafl - Historical Rules
- Hnefatafl - Fetlar Rules
- Old Hnefatafl
- Sea Battle 11x11
- Sea Battle 13x13
- Simple Tafl
- Tyr 13x13
- Tyr 15x15
- Tyr 19x19
- Coppergate 15x15
- Historical Alea Evengelii
- Legacy Hnefatafl
- Hnefatafl - Legacy Berserk Rules
- Legacy Tablut
- Legacy Ard Ri
- Legacy Brandubh
- Legacy Tawlbwrdd
- Legacy Alea Evengelii
- Custom variants for offline and online play
All variants can be played online or offline against bots or fellow humans. Even the custom variants.
The legacy variants are those that were released within the last six years but are different from those used by the World Tafl Federation.
- Offline play for two humans
- Offline play against various computer opponents
- Offline play for two computer opponents
- Online play
- Ranked and unranked matches
- Cross Platform Play between Android, iOS and Windows clients
- Play Online on your PC and continue on your phone, all with just one account
- Ingame Chat for Online play
- ELO Leaderboard
- Match Browser
- Share games with other players so that they can spectate
- Match Annotations - review any shared match and discuss strategies
- Match History - review any of your completed matches
- Tutorial/Rules included
- Partial Controller support
- 1. All review text and other content are original. The copyright of all game, hardware and software reviews and images belong to our editorial team, copying without attribution is forbidden. Some of brand names, logos and screenshots are used in order of qualified relationships.
- 2. All the information on this website is strictly observed all the terms and conditions of Google Ads Advertising policies, Google Unwanted Software policy and Microsoft Advertising policies.
- 3. We provide the official download links to legal sources like official websites, Steam, PlayStation Store, Microsoft Market, Nintendo eShop, Google Play Store, Apple iTunes, GOG, Humble Bumble and other.
Was this review helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this review:
We are striving for excellence and want to become better.
We appreciate and encourage any feedback.
Please, share your thoughts on our website – leave us a message on the «Contact us» page.